The Museo Diocesano Francesco Gonzaga used to be the Convent of Sant'Agnese till the end of the 15th century, an old institution of Mantova which was abolished in 1782, and was then used as an orphanage under the Austrian government. It was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century by the Veronese architect Paolo Pozzo, who also designed the elegant facade, without changing the Convent structure. The inner cloister that surrounds the court is remained unchanged.
The Museo Diocesano, also called Museo Francesco Gonzaga, has some very valuable objects, from the artistic and devotional point of view, coming from the Mantova churches or private collections. The 400/500 Italian armours made in the famous Milanese shop of the Missaglia family, the most famous armourers in that time, really stand out.