Palazzo degli Studi is part of the wide complex of the former Jesuits' bording school, which can be dated back to the end of the 16th century. It streches for a whole block and includes the SS. Trinità Church as well. The Palace was built between 1753 and 1763 on a plan by Arch. Alfonso Torreggiani (1682-1764).
Since then it has always been considered as a cultural pole in Mantova. Today the Liceo Classico Virgilio and the Biblioteca Teresiana have their premises here, and a sort of Citadel in the heart of Mantova is represented by this palace, the near State Archives and the Accademia Nazionale Virgiliana, thus representing an example of the Austrian enlightened reformism.