Large suburban villa built by Giulio Romano in 1525/26 for the Marquis Federico II Gonzaga. The plan of the building is in the form of a square with a central courtyard (or "honor courtyard") and a large garden behind, enclosed by pilaster strips and large rectangular windows decorated with artificial rustication. The juxtaposition of the classical patterns and inventions, both in the architectural structure and in the decorations of the Palace, arouses a sense of amazement and admiration in the visitor. The decoration of the rooms is outstanding for the unity of conception within the variety of representations: the Sala dei Cavalli, the Sala di Psiche and the Sala dei Giganti are some of the most renowned episodes throughout a path of extraordinary richness. Palazzo Te, now property of the Local Administration, has gone through a long and accurate restoration work completed in 1989 on the occasion of the great exhibition dedicated to Giulio Romano.